Readiness to change
Good psychological wellbeing is critical in successfully changing to a healthy lifestyle. If you are anxious, stressed, depressed, guilty, or have low self esteem, it is difficult to find the motivation to change to a healthier lifestyle. It is important that you address these issues first and seek professional help if you need it.
Ask yourself a few very important questions around whether you are ready to have a healthier lifestyle.
Start by answering Yes or No to the following:
- I haven’t thought about changing my diet or physical activity
- I am thinking about changing my diet or physical activity, but haven’t made any plans
- I have made a definite plan to change my diet and physical activity in the near future
- I have started to make changes recently
- I have been eating a healthy diet and have been regularly active for at least six months
Being ‘ready’ and committed to change and having enough support are very important.
If you answered yes to (1) or (2) in the list above, you may have other issues in your life that you need to address before you are ready to make changes. Seek some support from a health professional to motivate you and move you into the next stage.
If you answered yes to (3), (4) or (5) then you are ready to launch into your lifestyle changes, as you are more likely to be committed and to succeed.